Introducing the Credential Registry Badge Publisher
Welcome to the Credential Registry Badge Publisher, a powerful and user-friendly tool available through the Credential Registry Publishing System. Credential Engine’s 2022 Counting Credentials report counts over 430,000 badge credentials offered in the United States. This number will continue to grow as more formal and informal learning is represented in digital credentials. Unfortunately, many of these badges are undervalued and do not unlock opportunities because people do not understand what they mean. Therefore it’s important for badge information to be published to the Credential Registry so that the meaning and value of each badge is clear.
The badge publisher tool empowers organizations issuing Open Badges to seamlessly import public information about their badges into the Credential Registry. With the Credential Registry Badge Publisher, you can effortlessly import essential details about your badges, including badge name, description, earning criteria, and more. The tool automatically maps these fields to the Credential Transparency Description Language (CTDL), enabling you to easily describe your badges.
By importing your badges to the Credential Registry, you contribute to an open and accessible ecosystem of credential information. Learners, employers, and other stakeholders can effortlessly discover your badges. The ability to establish connections between credentials and other resources is crucial for effective discovery. The Credential Registry Badge Publisher allows organizations to customize badge alignments, expressing precise relationships not only to competencies but also to occupations, other credentials, educational programs, and learning opportunities. This empowers learners to build comprehensive educational pathways.
How it Works:
The Credential Registry Badge Publisher simplifies the process of importing badge information from a badging platform into the Credential Registry through three easy steps:
- First, it maps the metadata of Open Badges to CTDL and prepares it for import into the Credential Registry Publishing System.
- Next, it provides a user-friendly interface that allows you to edit badge information if necessary.
- Finally, it saves the badge information for review and approval before publication. As a bonus, the badge publisher also offers alignment to the Credential Finder, allowing you to save it back to the badging platform.
Badge Platform to Credential Registry Import Options:
Users have three options to import badge information into the Credential Registry Publishing System. It’s important to note that the instructions for importing badges from Canvas Credentials and Credly are different. Therefore, please follow the relevant set of instructions based on your platform. The three import options available are:
- Import directly from Canvas Credentials,
- Import directly from Credly,
- Copy and paste valid JSON from another badging platform.
The Credential Registry badge publisher is designed for use by staff members within organizations offering badges to individuals. Therefore, users of the tool should be staff members familiar with the badges offered. Three sets of instructions are linked below to guide users depending on the badging platform in use.
- If your organization uses Canvas Credentials, log into that platform.
- If your organization uses Credly, no login to that platform is required.
- If your organization doesn’t use Canvas or Credly, the third option is to copy and paste the JSON. In this case, users will need access to the relevant platform’s JSON.
It’s important to note that the instructions for importing badges from Canvas Credentials and Credly are different. Please follow the relevant set of instructions based on your platform.
Open Badge Class to CTDL Mapping
The following Open Badge fields can be imported into the badge publisher:
- Badge URL
- Badge Name
- Badge Description
- Earning Criteria Description
- Earning Criteria URL
- Badge Image
- Alignments: Name
- Alignments: URL
- Alignments: Description
- Alignments: Framework
- Alignments: Code
- Alignments: Target Type
For more information on mapping Open Badge fields to CTDL, see the Badge Class to CTDL Mapping Guide.
Open Source Code
The Credential Registry badge publisher is also available to badging platforms that follow the Open Badge Specification.
Learn more about the open source code via https://github.com/CredentialEngine/Open-Badge-Publisher.
Interested in Learning More?
Contact us using the form below.