Roadmap to Credential Transparency for States
State leaders can make progress towards credential transparency in a number of ways:
Make the Case:
- Communicate clear use cases to benefit students, workers, employers, educators, programs, and key policy goals
- Identify what data about credentials is necessary to be transparent and publicly available.
Align with Existing Education and Workforce Data Commitments:
- Ensure that this roadmap is integrated with, complements, and extends ongoing P-20-W data efforts underway to ensure continuity and effectiveness
Catalog and Publish the Credentials Offered and Sought at Local, State, and Federal Scale:
- Inventory all credentials in your jurisdiction
- Publish all credentials and their competencies to the Credential Registry and the Open Web in CTDL and CTDL-ASN
Turn these Data into Actionable Information:
- Link and align credential data with other essential data
- Support the creation of user-end tools, services, and systems with robust navigation and guidance capabilities
- Ensure sustainability of credential transparency through legislative, agency, and institution policies that continuously improve credential transparency for the benefits of its citizens and markets.
- Establish the necessary infrastructure for enduring data transparencyExplore the map below to see how states are approaching the work.